What Is It?
Self-esteem is all about the way we think and feel about ourselves. Some people might feel quite good about themselves; they might think that they are confident, friendly and talented. Other people might not feel so good; they might tell themselves that they are useless or a failure. If you have a low self-esteem, your beliefs about yourself are probably going to be quite negative. You might focus more on the not-so-great things in your life, forget about all of the positives or blame yourself for the things that go wrong.
It’s important to remember that we are all different in our own unique way. Nobody is perfect and each of us has our own strengths and weaknesses. It’s not always easy to think and feel good about ourselves. Having a low self-esteem can be mentally and physically exhausting and can get in the way of enjoying life.
What Might Help?
- Talk about it: Let someone know how you are feeling.
- Do something you enjoy or that you’re good at: This can help you to start feeling good about yourself and improve your confidence.
- Challenge yourself: Set yourself goals that are realistic and achievable – they can be as big or small as you like. You might want to take up a new hobby or learn a new skill.
- Look after your physical health: Sleep and diet can really influence your mood and it’s important to have a good sleep routine and to eat regularly.
- Seek professional support: If your self-esteem becomes too difficult to cope with on your own, you may want to talk to someone who is trained in talking therapy.
Useful Clips and Stories:
- The self-esteem building guide
- Cognitive Diary (CBT self-help)
- Simply Being (guided meditation and relaxation)